Bahrain is one of the most appreciated countries to move in the Middle East, especially for investors who can set up businesses in one of the most prolific industries in the world: oil and gas exploitation. The same sector also offers numerous job opportunities that paid quite well. However, in the past few years, Bahrain has evolved a lot from an economic point of view and enables entrepreneurs to benefit from unlimited investment possibilities.
In order to relocate, you must obtain a residence permit in Bahrain and the requirements to be met can be explained by our local specialists. We are a team made of Bahrain company formation specialists and our immigration lawyers in Bahrain who can provide tailored assistance no matter the type of service you need.
|Temporary residence permit types||
– work permits,
– long-term residence permits,
– dependent residence permits
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
It can take between 1 and 10 days to have a residence/work permit approved.
Temporary residence permit validity
The usual validity period of a residence permit obtained through employment is 1 or 2 years.
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence||
– valid passport (at least 6 months of validity is recommended),
– reason for immigration (employment contract, self-sponsorship, investment, family reunion),
– application form,
– health certificate
|Special residency program availability (YES/NO)||
Yes, residence by investment visa is available.
|Sponsorship requirements (YES/NO)||
Sponsorship is required for those who do not have sufficient funds for self-sponsorship (BHD 5,000).
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder (Yes/No)||
Dependent can relocate to Bahrain through dedicated visas.
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Long-term residence permits can be issued to investors, self-employed persons and retirees.
|Type of investments available for residency purposes||
Business opening, real estate purchase
|Minimum investment amount||
The minimum amount to invest in Bahrain is BHD 100,000 for company registration.
An additional BHD 15,000 is also required as a deposit in a local bank account, plus BHD 500 as a monthly income.
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||
Permanent residency can be obtained after 5 years of living in Bahrain.
|Residency for individuals married to a citizen of the country||
|Long-term residency option (YES/NO)||
The golden visa allows applicants to obtain 10-year residence visas.
– Arab citizens can apply for citizenship after 15 years of living here,
– non-Arab citizens can apply for Bahrain passports after 25 years of living here
|Dual citizenship permitted (Yes/No)||
No, Bahrain does not recognize dual citizenship.
The main types of residence permits for Bahrain
Relocating to Bahrain comes with numerous advantages thanks to the several types of residence permits available. If normally a sponsor is required when moving to a Middle Eastern country, a Bahrain self sponsorship residence permit is possible here.
Here are the main types of permits you can apply for if you want to immigrate to Bahrain:
- the work permit which is one of the most common ways foreign citizens use to obtain a residence permit in Bahrain;
- the residence permit which usually requires a sponsor, however, as mentioned above, can also be obtained through self sponsorship;
- the investment residence visa that can be obtained by those who want to purchase real estate.
Each type of residency comes with its own requirements, which is why our immigration lawyersin Bahrain can explain in detail how to apply for any of them. Apart from this, you can also rely on us for information on the Bahrain residence permit cost depending on your relocation needs.
How to obtain residency in Bahrain through a work permit
Foreign citizens interested in moving to Bahrain can find many employment opportunities. If you are in this situation, you can also obtain a residence permit in Bahrain based on your job. This is one of the simplest ways of relocating here, as the procedure must be started by the employer that must file the following papers on behalf of the foreign employee:
- the personal details of the employee (copy of the passport);
- proof that the employee is qualified for the job (diplomas, education background information);
- the employment contract;
- a healthcare certificate.
The documents must be filed with the Labor Market Regulatory Authority in Bahrain.
On his end, the employee must also complete a few formalities that can be explained by our local specialists.
If you want to move here and open a business in Bahrain, our specialists in immigration to Bahrain are at your service.
The Bahrain self sponsorship residence permit
One of the most comfortable ways of obtaining a residence permit in Bahrain is self sponsorship.
The Bahrain self sponsorship residence permit is available for the following categories of foreign citizens:
- property owners.
If you enter one of these categories, you can rely on our immigration lawyers in Bahrain for support in applying for a residence permit. We can assist with the preparation of the documents and their filing with the authorities.
You must also consider that the Bahrain residence permit cost depends on the type of visa you request. Apart from this, there are also other requirements that must be met.
Self sponsorship financial requirements in Bahrain
Apart from the Bahrain residence permit cost, each option comes with specific financial requirements.
In the case of investors who come to open companies in Bahrain, these are:
- the shareholding requirements of the expat must be at least BD 100,000;
- the person must also deposit BD 15,000 in a local bank account for which a certificate of holding the deposit must be obtained every 6 months;
- the residence permit holder must also have a minimum source of income of at least BD 500 per month.
In the case of a person retiring and seeking to obtain a residence permit in Bahrain, a deposit of BD 5,000 must be made in a bank account opened with a local bank.
In the case of a real estate owner, there are a few conditions to be met in order for him/her to obtain a Bahrain self sponsorship residence permit:
- the value of the property must be at least BD 50,000;
- a deposit of BD 15,000 must also be made in a local bank account;
- a source of income of at least BD 500 per month is also required.
You can rely on our specialists if for details on the Bahrain residence permit cost.
If you are interested in immigration toBahrain and obtaining residence permit and need support with the application, do not hesitate to contact us and start an amazing life here.